The Boonton Township Police Department was founded in 1935. Chief Dewey Bott worked as a part time Police Officer with his other job being with the Morris County road department. There was a phone in his home designated for police business. When he was not home, his spouse answered. Dewey was the first full-time Police Chief along with several other part time volunteer Police Officers until 1968, at which time the Boonton Township appointed their 1st full time Police Officer. In 1968 Boonton Township expanded their department to 3 full time Police Officers, Chief Dewey Bott (who retired that same year), Alfonzo Capolla (appointed Chief at that time), and Anthony Mini. Another Officer, Stephen Regec would then be hired in 1969.
In 1972 the Department moved from a two-room wooden building that had been the Powerville School into the building they still occupy today. The old building was attached and on that day demolished in 1972. Throughout the years the Boonton Township Police Department has continued to grow and now employs 13 full time sworn law enforcement officers, with 1 Chief, 1 Lieutenant, 2 Sergeants, 1 Detective and 8 Police Officers, as well as an Administrative Assistant. The area served is approximately 9 square miles with 4500 residents.